Friday, May 30

Music Archives: 70's Rock - Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen

For the last showcase for this month, I present my favorite rock song of all time. Bohemian Rhapsody is a song by Freddie Mercury and originally recorded by the band Queen for their 1975 album A Night at the Opera. In 1977, only two years after its release, it was named 'The Best Single of the Last 25 Years' by BPI (Britain).
The song is of six sections: introduction, ballad, guitar solo, opera, rock and an outro. This format, with abrupt changes in style, tone, and tempo, was unusual to rock music. Though I do admit, I can see where many critics claim that the length and melodic shifts of this song was inspired by Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven (1971). I truly can not debate anyone who feels, Stairway To Heaven should be the #1 rock song of all time. I just feel, Bohemian Rhapsody is my favorite because of its unique structure.

A quote from the late, Freddy Mercury (1997), who first wrote the song in private. "It's one of those songs which has such a fantasy feel about it. I think people should just listen to it, think about it, and then make up their own minds as to what it says to them...'Bohemian Rhapsody' didn't just come out of thin air. I did a bit of research although it was tongue-in-cheek and mock opera. Why not?"
What other song in history is ingeniously composed this way and still has over 20 million views on You Tube for two video posts? Or what other song with international claim has fans claim a favorite section of the song?
See ya next week! RRR !

No comments: